Sunday, September 11, 2011

Salmon River Fishing and Misc.

Made it to the Salmon River this evening to spend some time at one of my favorite walk in places.  This is the kind of spot that is going to have a predictable movement of fish, especially in the first light of morning and the evening.  What you need to have is a section of fast water between two larger holding areas, like between Frasier's Run and the Wires or the Compactor and the Upper Compactor.  These larger, deeper runs hold fish during the daytime and  since salmon trend to move readily at night, the runs between see good movement at first and last light of day. 

I didn't expect to find alot of moving fish but I knew I'd find a few and that's the way it turned out.  Saw three salmon edging up out of the deeper runs to head up stream.  Was able to connect with one, briefly.  The other two were on the move and had no intentions of giving my fly a chance to provoke them. 


New bridge looking from north to south

Was a nice evening though and I was glad to get back to the river.  I stopped by Pineville bridge to check on the progress there.  They're putting the concrete deck down now and the main floor of the bridge is done.  All that is basically left is the approaches to the main bridge. 


Fall is coming to the river.  A few trees starting to change colors and with the cooler temperatures in the evenings now the dew forms fast and heavy.  I love this time of year.  Here are a couple of pictures of the new bridge.  Should be able to use it before too long.

New concrete deck looking towards RT 13


I'll be on the river again later this week and then almost daily till the end of October as my schedule stands right now.  I will be posting updates from here on out as often as I can.