Thursday, August 31, 2017

Salmon River Labor Day weekend report

It's hard to focus these days.  Summer projects around the house seem to annoy me more than normal, the Delaware River guiding schedule seems to have lost some of it's appeal and I suddenly feel the urgent need to tie salmon flies.  The night time temperatures for the last week have been in the upper 40s/ low 50s, there is a noticeable changing of the color on more trees here and these have me distracted most of the time now.  It is the salmon run that occupies a lot of my thinking these days and I know that within the month I will be guiding clients again for salmon.

This weekend will 'unofficially' mark the beginning of the salmon season here for the Salmon River.  The reports from the lake are encouraging and the river will be up to a 750 cfs release this weekend.  I am giving serious thought to putting the drift boat in and making an exploratory run down to the ballpark, with my fly rod of course.  If I don't float I will definitely be wading some areas below Pineville looking for early runners pulled in by the cooler water temps and higher flows.

A vision of things soon to come.
Just a few things to keep in mind that may encourage you to visit this fall.  Fish for free days, there will be 2 this fall in New York.  September 23, 2017 will be a free day.  This is usually an annual date you can depend on as it runs in conjunction with the National Hunting and Fishing Day.  This also usually coincides with an open house at the Salmon River Hatchery in Altmar, NY.  There is always demos, informative lectures and activities for the kids at the hatchery, oh, and there will be salmon in the fish ladders to see by then.

The 2nd fish free day is Veteran's Day, November 11, 2017.

I have some good dates thought the end of September (a few) and October and November have some excellent dates available.  Give me a call or drop me a note, let's fish together this fall.

Tight lines