Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Salmon / Steelhead 2017-18 season in review.

I haven't posted any info on the salmon river since last September, just no time.  Besides having a full schedule fishing and family issues to handle, my mother was dealing with serious health problems that resulted in her passing in early April 2018.  So amidst all that I put the blog on the back burner so to speak.

There were many good things that happened this past season.  The salmon fishing and steelhead fishing were excellent right up in to May.  We had very good water flows through most of the fall and winter and never lost a day on the Salmon River this spring due to high run-off.  This is truly amazing being that most of the watershed had higher than average snowfall this winter.

Another nice happening this spring was my wife and I passed our 39th wedding anniversary in late March.  These past 2 years we have spent our anniversary with our daughters and their husbands, doing some fishing on the Niagara River.
Our captain, John Oravec, with a nice brown trout I landed

We had a great day fishing with a mixed bag of browns, steelhead, walleye, and northern pike, the latter two were not in season.  We did keep a few fish but most were released back in to the river.

It's nice sometime to be 'guided' rather than always be the guide.  We are thinking about another trip this fall with John on the St. Lawrence River for Musky.  Would be for the end of November so we will see how that goes.

My first brown of the day with my son-in-laws.



 I am fishing the Delaware for the next few weeks and then my wife and I are thinking about a trip out west to fish Montana and Idaho,  I have a few projects here at home to do this summer so a trip west will be good incentive to 'git-er-done'.

My last fish of the day, a 30" steelhead caught on an emerald shiner.

Locally here around the Salmon River the trout streams are in good shape and the last few days on home streams as well as the Delaware has seen Isos beginning to show up.  Had a good run on the Hendricksons and March Browns locally so things are progressing normally.  Picking up a few on BWO now also in size #18 and should see Sulphurs soon.




I will be posting again soon with the recent state of the lakes report for 2017.  Was another encouraging report that bodes well for the future of the Salmon River fishery.  I am booking trips for this fall, both salmon and steelhead,  let's book some dates and bend the rods.

Tight lines