Friday, May 6, 2022

May 5, 2022 Salmon River area report

Spring has been having a hard time getting off the ground here. Our temperatures are seasonal but only 2 nice days in the last week or two. Our snowpack here in the Tug Hills was gone (for the most part) by the end of March, so I was hoping for a fairly easy season for steelhead through April, but frequent heavy rains and a couple of measurable snow falls and the river flows between 4000cfs and 1500cfs (on average) throughout April.  Currently the river is running at 304cfs at Pineville gauge at a 185cfs release.

The spring season mirrored the fall fishing, mediocre at best.  We had some nice fish in the fall but no big numbers that we have become use to.  Even the salmon run was dismal to mediocre, unless you were in Eliss Cove and upper river areas.  Steelhead season, at this point, has quietly faded into dreams of this coming fall's run (fingers crossed).  

A nice State land bird from a few years back.
May 1, saw the start of walleye/pike season statewide.  This is a new arrangement and will continue from here on.  Previous years had seen the start of pike season on the first Saturday in May.  It will be interesting to see what feedback comes of this change being that spring turkey season starts on May 1 also.  I'd bet many guys who are diehard pike fishers, especially walleye, are also diehard turkey hunters.  I for one am in the latter group and would never miss the turkey opener, no matter what.  I turn down guided steelhead trips every year for the turkey opener.
Another beautiful gobbler.

Local trout streams have been receiving modest pressure, probably due to the fact that the streams have only recently dropped and are now easier to wade.  Behind my house the Mad River has just started to see hatches, and as of yet I have not ventured a cast at it.  I will this weekend.  Next week we are expecting temperatures in to the 70s/80s all week so the bugs should start popping in earnest.

I'll try to post regularly from here on out.  Although I enjoy writing and posting to the blog, I have kind of lost focus on it these last few years.  I want to change that.

I am looking forward to the coming Spring and summer, Hope you are too.

Tight lines