Friday, September 29, 2017

Oneida County local trout streams report, late September 2017

It's tough to make decisions right now for the angler who lives in the northern Oneida County area right now, salmon fishing or trout fishing.  It may seem like a no-brainer, salmon fishing hands down, but it's not that easy when the trout fishing is producing the biggest brown trout of the year.  On any given evening right now in the last half hour of daylight and into twilight you can find big browns eating on the surface.

Nice 18"-20" browns like this one are frequenting my net right now.

For the past 5-6 weeks I have been fishing local streams that are producing heavy Ephron and Iso hatches, like clock work.  No need to show up streamside more than 45 minutes before dark.  The last 1/2 hour of daylight brings these hatches on and the big browns are right on them.  Areas of the stream where the riffles meet the calm water at the head of the pool is where they set up to feed.  Some takes, most takes, are aggressive and noisy, but the biggest trout I have taken have gulped the fly, nothing splashy or brutal, just nose out of the surface film and gulp.

Only fly you need, Parachute Adams #16.
The most interesting thing about all this is that every outing for the past 5-6 weeks I have used one fly pattern exclusively, same pattern, same size every time.  It has been so consistently producing these big trout that I don't even think of trying something different, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.  The magical fly, parachute Adams #16.  As a side note, I am using my 9' 4wt Loomis Trilogy, (my go to fly rod for these local streams) with a WF4F Rio trout line with 9-10' leader and 6X tippet.

One more thing.  Notice the fly is barbless, since I fish C&R I either mash the barbs on my flies or tie on barbless hooks.  Make releasing these fish fast and no damage to the fish, even those hooked back in the roof of the mouth or at the base of the tongue.  Also, use forceps, they're smaller than you thumb and index finger.

Guiding for salmon is starting to demand most of my time (and energy) so I don't fore see too many more outings for these big browns.  Hope you take advantage of the spectacular trout fishing that happens on your local stream every fall.

Tight lines