Sunday, September 10, 2017

Trout fishing report - Central New York

Sometimes when you walk up to the stream you know it's going to be very good.  This evening was one of these. 

I got to the stream about 7 this evening and knew that I had about an hour of daylight left.  I approached the creek in a blizzard of Ephoron mixed with some Hex spinners flying upstream to the head of the riffles. I knew right then it was going to be a very good evening.

Over the past few weeks I have fished an #18 Adams parachute so I started off with the same fly, first drift and was on to a nice 13" brown.  The fish hit hard in these hatches and each fish 'killed' the fly.  After about 20 minutes and 7-8 trout later I switched to an Adams parachute in #12, anticipating the Hex spinners that would soon be floating down stream past my position.  From then to dark I landed another 7-8 browns with 2 big fish, one about 18" and the largest pushing 20" easily.

I was going to go to the Salmon River this evening, as there is some pretty darn good salmon fishing right now, but I opted for the trout stream.  Was a good choice.  I will be working on the Salmon River for the next few months so trout fishing right now is to be taken advantage of while I have time left for it.

Hope you are enjoying these later summer days, actually feels more like the middle of October than the first of September.

Tight lines