Saturday, August 31, 2013

And so it begins... Salmon River report - Labor Day 2013

Labor Day is the unofficial start of the salmon run here on the Salmon River and it appears that this year it may be the official start.  The release is 750cfs till 9pm tomorrow, Sunday Sept 1and it is running at 824cfs at the Pineville gauge.  The fish have been staging off the mouth of the river and this push of water has started to bring them into the river in fairly good numbers for this time of the year.  As of this posting you will find salmon up into the river between Pulaski and 2a bridge.  This water release will be cut back to 335cfs tomorrow night and should stay there for awhile, ensuring a steady run of salmon into the river.

Here in Camden we're starting to get a glimps of fall
The season is beginning to move from summer into fall, the trees are starting to show some color now for the past week or two, nothing major yet, but fall is upon us here in salmon country.  The last few mornings on the river have been cooler with fairly heavy fog over the river, I love that.  I feel anticipation rising as I think of what is coming over the next 6 weeks. 

September 1988, the year I started guiding here on the Salmon River doesn't seem that long ago but this September will mark my 25th anniversary of guiding, a milestone in my life.  I have spent almost half of the 57 years I have been alive working as a guide.  This experince has been full of great memories of many days spent on this river with all kinds of clients under all kinds of conditions.  I've seem major changes take place here that to this point have affected the fishery in mostly positive ways.  Our salmon fishery is world-class and the steelhead fishery, outside of the west coast, is in a league of it's own.  Dispite the negative press about crowded conditions, the Salmon River does, over most of it's course, offer an angler solitude and excellent fishing.  If a person complains about fishing in crowded conditions it's  because they have chosen to fish where it is crowded, there are other options on the river.

I am still fishing the local trout streams and will for another week or so.  There is an excellent Hex and White Fly hatch every evening right now, I can't seem to get enough of those big browns.

I will post again soon.  Have a good season and if you see me on the river give me a shout.

Tight lines.