Sunday, July 10, 2016

A little bragging

Sometimes you do something that you feel good about, something you're a little proud of yourself about.  The bass I caught yesterday was one of those things.

I spent a few years fishing in a national bass fishing circuit and learned a lot and had a great time.  That knowledge learned about a fish, their habits and tendencies can be the difference in a fun day fishing and a great day fishing.  Yesterday evening I threw my stuff into the Tahoe to spend the evening fly fishing one of the local trout streams.  When I hit the end of my street I changed my mind and decided, since I had some bass fishing gear with me too, I would head to a small dam about 10 minutes from my house and see how the bass fishing was.  I have fished this area many times for both trout and bass with good success on both.

Nice 4 lb. largemouth bass on
10 lb. test and a Senko
When I got there I grabbed my spinning rod and set it up with a 6" Senko without weight.  My plan was to cast it on top of the weeds and lily pads and just work it on top.  Nothing for about 20 minutes.  I moved to a more open piece of water and change technique, swimming the same set up along the front edge of the junk and about 3-4" under the surface.  Good call as my clients would say.  As I was watching the Senko coming back to me I was watching the wake it was pushing and then saw as slight swirl in the wake.  I didn't feel the take so I waited a second or two and set the hook on a tournament quality bass. 

When I got the bass in hand and snapped a couple pictures I did feel pretty good about myself.  Next time I'm gonna try for him with a fly rod.

Hope you enjoy the fishing, where ever you wet a line.

Tight lines