Thursday, March 30, 2017

Saturday's the day - NY state trout opener

In the past week or so around New York state you have probably noticed people, guys mainly, standing on bridges looking at water, myself included.  Saturday, April 1 is the state wide trout opener and I like many others are eagerly waiting for this rite of spring.  For as long as I can remember, fishing the opening day of trout season has been a mile-marker in my year.
I grew up near a small creek in north-central Pennsylvania and as I remember, I would stand on the bridge below my house and stare at the creek, envisioning myself hooking a limit of trout on the opening day, and everyday after that. 

Nice brown, not big, but it will do.
The weeks before the opener would find me in the local department store's sporting good section looking at fishing tackle, wishing I had a some money in my pocket.  Of course, I had equipment to get the job done.  I had a nice Fenwick glass rod and a Plueger Medalist reel, some cheap fly line and a roll of monofilament for leader.  I was a fly tyer so I had a box full of flies I had been working on through the winter.  I wasn't real savvy about fly hatches and the such, but I knew my soft hackle wet flies and a hand full of streamers would work for me on opening day.

These days I have more tackle and such that now the challenge is which rod and reel to go with.  I am more savvy about fly hatches now but I would bet real money that I will be fishing with soft hackle wet flies and a handful of streamers come Saturday morning.

I am betting that I am not alone in this spring tradition.  Things in a persons life like the opening day of trout season, are the things that give some balance to a persons life in a world that has basically gone crazy.  Saturday morning will find my head empty of politics, social unrest, terrorism and even the anxiety that comes from making a living for my wife and I.  Peace will be enjoyed for a few brief hours.  I hope you find peace too.

Tight lines