Saturday, April 29, 2017

Salmon River fishing report - fat lady singing

I have one more float scheduled for the 2017 spring steelhead season and it's timed just about perfect.  The last few weeks have seen good action on drop backs and with the water drop a little over a week ago things heated up.  There have been good numbers of steelhead in the upper river over this past week, most drop backs, however, there were still good numbers of spawners.  That was till yesterday, someone hit the switch and a large part of the upper river is void of fish.  There where areas holding a few pockets of fish but most fish appear to be below Pineville.  For my last float I am going to try to make the Pineville to 2A float work for my client.

Nice meat eating Delaware River brown.
After that I am guiding a few turkey hunts and then starting my Delaware River floats mid-May.  Reports from the Big-D are very good with streamers working well and this past weekend saw the surface activity begin in earnest.  Water temps and flows are good, temps pushing 60 degrees and flows are nice but slowly dropping.  I will be down 'pre' fishing a few days and am looking forward to getting on the East Branch.

Spring turkey season starts Monday, May 1 here in New York.  I can't wait.  I have a few trips booked through the month and have plans for my own hunts.  There are good numbers of turkeys around and even had a half dozen in my yard a couple days ago.  If you'd like a guided hunt or a float on the Delaware for big trout give me a call, I'm sure we can set something up.

I'll post again soon.

Tight lines